For our first winter in the hill country we were glad to actually have seasons, but now, on the last day of February, we are ready to see the end of this...
Saturday, February 21, 2015
Monday, February 2, 2015
|Cocoa, Maia, Elsa, Peck, Peanut, and Zoe enjoy the "woods".|
Back in November (two days before Thanksgiving in fact) we added to the general chaos around here by adopting six baby chickens. As I have only briefly mentioned them before, and they have taken on such a significant role in our daily life, I thought I ought to provide an update on these funny girls. At least, we think (and hope) they are all girls. The kids adore playing with, holding, and petting the chickens. Quite often Cooper can be found carrying Elsa around the yard as she is the smallest and the nicest. For now Mama and Daddy meet the basic needs of chickens such as feeding, watering, and cleaning out the coop, but we look forward to teaching the kids animal care and responsibility as they (both kids and chickens!) get bigger.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
|The kids just couldn't get enough of the old truck in the yard.|
|Penny had a blast jumping in "muddy puddles."|
|"Dad! Look what I found!"|
|This little one basically made the switch from crawling to walking over the weekend.|
|Geology nerd shot.|
|I always get a kick out of photographing these two. It's easy to catch them looking like they are up to something.|
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
Last week was the beginning of a break in the cold, wet, icy, nasty weather we'd been having. Kids and parents were both overjoyed and relieved to spend some time outside! We took advantage of the 70 degree weather and a school holiday to head to the ranch for two nights. We enjoyed lots of sun and a weekend spent with Ma-Mas, Pa-Pa, and Uncle Clint.
|Penny will not be left out! While she did not enjoy the loudness of shooting, she did enjoy her new pink safety glasses and ear protection and wore them most of the weekend.|
|Ranchin' baby! This little girl could be found taking tentative steps on the porch or on Mama's or Ma-Ma's hip for the weekend. Here she is trying to figure out a kid's chair.|
|And she got it! Lounging on the porch and basking in the sun? No problem!|
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Amongst all the fun and joy of the holiday, we had some sadness too. Our sweet black lab Ralph passed away just a few days before Christmas. Ralph by far was the sweetest dog I had ever known and we all miss him. For nearly 14 years Ralph was the companion of first David, then myself and my dog Dooley, then the kids and Brewster. Ralph was a typical lab in that he was sweet, wonderful around children, and LOVED the water. Ralph enjoyed anywhere he could run free, chase things, fetch things, or find good chewing sticks. He was happiest at the beach, the lake, the ranch, or trying to "worm" up into a warm lap. (Not easy as he was 85 pounds in his heyday.) I believe all dogs have souls, but Ralph's was easy to see. We love and miss you Ralph!
|Ralphapotumus Maximus Duderino Kirk|
February 1, 2001-December 22, 2014
|How Ralph rolled...in the car or anywhere, he wanted to be as close to you as possible. Back in 2003 when David and Ralph moved to Corpus Christi, Ralph rode on top of the stuff in the fully packed car so he could see and be near.|
|Ralph enjoying a favorite spot.|
|Being a good sport for a Christmas photo with his life-mate Dooley, whom he lost this time last year. It feels like the end of an era of sorts...both of our first "kids" are gone.|
Saturday, January 3, 2015
We enjoyed our first Christmas in Boerne this year! We stayed busy and had LOTS of visitors. It was fun to enjoy the holidays in a place that actually has seasons, even if cold weather isn't our favorite. Ma-Mas, Pa-Pa, and Uncle Clint joined us for Christmas Eve and night and we enjoyed the good company, good food, and good fun building legos and playing with toys. After Christmas we spent two days in Houston visiting Nonnie and the cousins. After THAT we had several old friends stop in to watch the Aggies win their bowl game. And after THAT the Eggers joined us for New Year's! We were so thrilled that we got to spend so much of the holiday with so many people! Such a great way to end the year!
|Cooper and Penny got to play in the hot tub on Christmas Eve. Ellie wished she could too!|
|Santa came! Three kids and three extra people visiting meant LOTS of presents! Our cups ran over this year and we have a ton to be thankful for.|
|The after picture...|
|Coop got a camera for Christmas! We can't wait to upload from the Cooper-cam!|
|The name of the game this year was legos. Penny really enjoyed Uncle Clint helping her build.|
Monday, December 22, 2014
Baby Ellie reached an important milestone on Sunday...she turned ONE! It's hard to believe that just one year ago Ellie was born and gave us the best gift we could ever receive. Last Christmas we had a tiny four-day-old and this Christmas we have an energetic, sweet, and bustling baby starting to show us who she is! Mama feels a little sad to think that her infancy is over because it went by at lightning speed! We are eager though to watch her continue to grow and change! At one year of age Ellie:
- Weighs 19.8 lbs and is 28 and 3/4 inches long. She had her well check-up this morning and is in great health! She received three shots and had her iron checked, which didn't please her too much.
- Has a fairly consistent sleep schedule! She takes a morning and afternoon nap, goes to bed at 8 p.m., sleeps through the night, and wakes up at 6 or 7 a.m.
- Has nine teeth. Two of her recent teeth to cut have been molars. She marked this occasion with some fussiness, but that was all.
- Loves to push her ride-on toy or baby stroller around. She doesn't seem to have much interest in walking without those things but has figured out how to climb onto her ride-on. (Cooper has taken it upon himself to carry her from room to room, which is probably partly why she isn't motivated to walk. Ah that little third baby!)
- Is a little stinker! Ellie gets a certain twinkle in her eye when she wants to do something she knows she isn't supposed to. We try to keep her out of the playroom (Waaaay too many legos for a baby in there!), and she will give me that certain look and crawl uber-fast towards that room. She makes that same look right before she throws or knocks her food off her tray. (Feeding the dog is way more fun than eating, apparently.)
- Loves finger foods so much, the only things I can feed her with a spoon are applesauce or yogurt. Her current favorite foods are goldfish crackers and toast but she also likes scrambled eggs, peanut butter crackers, bacon, Gerber fruit and oat bars, yogurt melts and she likes to gnaw on raw carrots or apples. She doesn't seem too inclined to try new foods but we keep on trying.
- Can drink from both a sippy cup and a straw. She LOVES to drink from a straw.
- Ellie can say "mama", "dada", and "bye". We thought she tried to say "dog" and "cuh-puh" (cooper) the other day but we weren't sure.
- Has enjoyed lots of visitors in the last month! Nonnie, Aunt Amanda and Matt, the cousins, Uncle Laurin and Uncle Rosendo joined us for Thanksgiving and Ma-Mas, Pa-Pa, Uncle Clint, and Steve, Mary and Sterling Bennett came to celebrate her birthday.
|One year old photo shoot via Mama...she is just too big and wiggly to get a good picture in the same chair I've taken her other monthly pictures in. To the floor we go.|
|Ellie has a seriousness about her but is such a happy little soul!|
|Ellie loves to point at things and whisper baby-babble. This is insanely cute.|
|Outtake one from the photo shoot...|
|Outtake two...clearly not going to cooperate.|
We celebrated Ellie's birthday with a small party at home on Saturday evening. Daddy made pulled pork for the adults and Mama made a giant cupcake. She received several presents including a light-up, music-playing monkey ball sorter from Mama and Daddy, outfits and a doll from Ma-Mas and Pa-Pa, blocks from the Bennetts, and a gift card from Uncle Clint. A few pictures from Ellie's party:
|Little ham for the camera!|
Monday, December 15, 2014
Starting in November, our controlled chaotic household leans more toward chaotic. Holidays, family, school activities and more dominate our days. Life over the last few weeks...
|Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast.|
|Our hotel was a winter wonderland and the kids got to see Santa.|
|We were thankful to spend our first Thanksgiving in Boerne with the Kirks.|
|The cousins were here for five days over Thanksgiving!|
|We've spent many cool evenings outside with both family and friends.|
|We took a day trip to the ranch for Pa-pa's cousins' annual Christmas party.|
|We spent half a weekend in Buda for a 1st Birthday Party.|
We are ready for Christmas and the rest of the year (I think)! Next up, one baby girl turns one, Cooper and Penny can stop asking, "how many minutes 'til Christmas," and of course the New Year. Happy Holidays!